In this blog post we are looking at how to set up and optimise your Pinterest Business account for success.
This post is part 2 in a series of bite sized ‘Pinterest 101’ posts aimed at Pinterest beginners. We are stepping back to basics to look at what exactly is Pinterest, understanding Pinterest terminology, and step by step of how to set up a optimised Pinterest account so you can get started on your pinning journey.
Before we go any further, if you missed out on part 1 of the series you can check it out here…..
And, if you haven’t already grabbed my FREE Guide to Setting up a Pinterest Business Account then you may want download that too.
How to Set up your Pinterest Account
The first step is to make sure that you are using a business account. They are free to use and there are a few benefits to using a business account over a personal account, including access to
- account analytics – so that you can track your performance
- a distinct business profile with the ability to claim your website
- an ads account – in case you decide to run ads on the platform
There are three options for setting up your Pinterest account:
- create a new Pinterest Business account
- add a Business Profile to an existing personal Pinterest account
- convert an existing personal Pinterest account to a business account
Create a new Pinterest Business account
If you don’t have an existing personal account, or you wish to create a new business account that is not linked to a personal account, then follow these steps:
1. Making sure that you are logged out of any existing Pinterest accounts, go to https://www.pinterest.com.au/business/create/
3. Pinterest has recently made changes and now guides you through the rest of the setup process, meaning that it is quite straight forward and intuitive. You will be prompted to complete details such as
- location + language
- business name + business type
- website link + other social profiles
- relevant topics to your niche
- interest in advertising
- download the Pinterest browser button
Tip: Complete as many of these details as possible – the aim is to always provide Pinterest with as much information as possible so that they can best understand what your account is about.
Add a Business Profile to an existing personal account
This option allows you to have your personal and business profiles linked under the one login so that you can easily switch between the two.
1. Log into your existing personal Pinterest account and click on the three dots in top right hand corner
2. Click on ‘Add a free Business Profile’
3. Similar to above, Pinterest will guide you through the set up process and prompt you to complete details such as
- business name + business type (required)
- website link + other social profiles (optional, but recommended)
- relevant topics to your niche (required)
- interest in advertising (required)
- download the Pinterest browser button (optional, but recommended)
- option to copy boards over from your personal account (optional, and only recommended if relevant to business)
Convert an existing Personal account to a Business account
The final option is to convert your personal account to a business account to create a standalone business account
1. Log into your existing personal Pinterest account and go to pinterest.com/business/convert/
2. Fill out your business name, website and type
3. Click create account
Congratulations on taking the first step in your Pinterest journey and setting up your new Business profile.
In the next post we will look at how to claim your website using the Yoast SEO plug in.
Thanks for reading. Happy Pinning!